20 things I dont believe

I used to get asked what I believe in by people. However it happens less nowadays and I'm thinking it is probably because there is an assumption on the part of folk that if I am a Christian, a church leader and an evangelical that I must believe in xyz, so why bother to ask. Such is the distortion of the image of evangelicals in the public mindset that some have (understandably) abandoned the title altogether. The problem I have with doing that is that you abandon the wonderful testimony of the early evangelicals who did not believe or practice that which many who currently claim the title do. In my view the label 'evangelical', much like the label 'Christian' is something still worth fighting to redeem in peoples imagination, if only to honour those who have gone before.
So for those of you who want to take a shot at my beliefs as an evangelical, before you take aim here is a brief list of 20 things I don't believe in (and which annoy me most intensely when people assume that I do.)

  1. The so called ‘prosperity gospel’ – number one on the hit list (the indiscriminate teaching that assumes a believer should be prospering in all areas - especially financially - as an indication of Gods approval)
  2. That any hope of a better future lies in the hands of a global economy.
  3. That being a follower of Christ is defined by what we are against (with the exception of this list)
  4. That sexual sin is worse than any other sin
  5. That women are meant to be subordinate to men
  6. That Gods default emotion is to be angry
  7. That what is 'spiritual' and what is 'real' are two different things
  8. That leadership is male (ie gender based)
  9. That there is a fixed date for Christ's return
  10. That Israel's purpose and destiny as a people is to be understood as bound to a strip of land in the Middle East.
  11. That 'blessing Israel' means legitimising all geopolitical action in favour of modern Jews
  12. That all ‘non Christians' go to hell.
  13. That all ‘Christians’ go to heaven
  14. That there is or can be such a thing as a 'Christian nation'
  15. That hell is eternal conscious torment
  16. That 'full time' Christian work is more important/less spiritual than any other vocation
  17. That the 'Church' and the 'Kingdom of God' are the same thing
  18. That creation and evolution are mutually exclusive
  19. That there is an irreconcilable conflict between science and faith
  20. That I am always right (this one I confess needs some work)

Comments

Forrest said…
Hi Phil,

I just discovered your blog. I liked this post, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean in point 2. Could you clarify?

Andy
Philsfocus said…
Andy hi
Thanks for your question - yes this one does need clarifying. Im not saying Christians should not engage in wealth creation or social justice for the poor etc. I am just logging my concern re the notion that economic improvement is the answer to all problems. I rather like the quote of the King of Butan who claimed that their nations measure of success was not GNP, but rather "Gross National Happiness."
Phil
Matt Frost said…
Thanks Phil. Good list.

Popular posts from this blog

The Lamborghini of Guitars

Deep Listening